Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the standard procedures for owning and caring for an orthodontic retainer.
- Wear your retainers at nighttime, unless Dr. Roeder instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainers out when eating and always put retainers in their case!
(Most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants.)
- When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them, so be aware of their location.
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to your retainer faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken, call Roeder Orthodontics immediately and we can help repair or replace the retainer.
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- Keep retainers away from things which could cause damage or loss, like hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
- Do not try to adjust them yourself. If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us.
- Retainer replacement can be expensive; with proper care they will last for years!
- Bring your retainers to your appointments.
- Remove retainers when swimming.
Roeder Retainer University
RRU is a free program offered to patients who complete orthodontic treatment. Patients come back at 3, 6, 9, and 12 months for a free visit to monitor retainer wear and observe any changes which may be happening post-treatment.
We encourage you to call or email our office if you have any questions about your retainer. Dr. Roeder or one of his team members will do their best to help. Our office is in Asheville, NC, but we see patients throughout Western North Carolina, including Weaverville, Candler, Fletcher, and Hendersonville and surrounding areas.