Phase I Orthodontics
What is Phase I Orthodontics?
Phase I Orthodontics, or Phase I Treatment has developed from what we have learned about the benefits of early treatment, particularly in the reduction and simplification of Phase II treatments.
Phase II Treatments usually begin around the ages of eleven to thirteen, after the majority of permanent teeth have erupted.
Phase I treatment is recommended for children in instances of moderate to severe malocclusions, and can offer a range of benefits including:
- Reducing or eliminating the need for jaw surgery or the extraction of permanent teeth in later Phase II treatments.
- Positively influencing jaw development, improving the position of permanent teeth and molars, and improving speech development in the process
- Improving self-esteem and reducing the severity and time commitments of Phase II treatments during teenage years.
The goal of Phase II treatment is to position the permanent teeth in alignment and further maximize both jaw function and appearance of the smile. However, the goal of Phase I orthodontics is to influence jaw development positively, and guide permanent teeth into more favorable positions, which preserve or create space for incoming teeth. Effective Phase I treatment can reduce the need for more invasive treatments later in life.
When is Phase I Orthodontics right for my child?
As every child – and every smile – is unique, at Roeder Orthodontics, in the right circumstances, we will encourage early assessment of growth and development, with an aim to prevent complex corrections later.
Phase I Treatment can be effective for a number of common developmental problems, including:
- Narrow jaws or excessive crowding
- Underbite, openbite, or excessive Overjet
- Speech problems and bad oral habits
After a thorough, free evaluation of your child’s smile, Dr. Roeder will determine if Phase I Treatment can be beneficial, or if further development is appropriate before any treatment. If Phase I treatment is not appropriate for your child, our Roeder Rookies Club offers periodic checkups to monitor growth and development, as well as regular rewards and prizes for all of our pre-orthodontic patients. As with all things concerning your child’s smile, Dr. Roeder and his team will discuss all available treatment options, costs, payment plans and scheduling options if desired. Call us on 828-274-2500 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Roeder.