According to the American Association of Orthodontists, one in five orthodontic patients are over the age of 21. Many adults choose to receive orthodontic treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their oral health and appearance. Roeder Orthodontics offers adult braces and Invisalign for patients throughout WNC including Asheville, Weaverville, Candler, Fletcher, and Hendersonville, NC and beyond.
View our gallery of actual patients who wore adult braces and had beautiful results.
Common reasons why adults desire orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite, or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Crowded or spaced apart teeth, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal pain, or pressure, in the jaw that is caused by crooked teeth
- To have a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment options for adult braces
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. Today’s orthodontic treatment options however, offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs.
The difference between adult orthodontics and braces for children and teens
There are actually not many differences between adult and child orthodontics; however, in children and teens the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may mean the possibility of orthognathic surgery, in which the jawbones are surgically aligned. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt creating a bad bite and the possibility of getting gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Adults and children often have different clinical needs and require different levels of care and instruction. Listening to your personal goals and developing a plan around you is our primary goal.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health
issues, and end up costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult braces, please contact Dr. Roeder and his team to schedule an appointment. We understand you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.