Open Bite Malocclusion
An open bite is an oral condition wherein the upper front teeth do not make contact with the lower teeth when the jaw is closed. As a result, it creates a visual illusion that the mouth is never closed, showcasing the openness in-between the teeth. Open bites are typically not a common condition, but they do exist. For some, the concern is purely aesthetic, but others may experience trouble biting, chewing, or eating certain foods, as well as problems with speech or other functions of the teeth and mouth.
Dr. Jeffrey Roeder encourages assessment of open bites because the severity of the condition can have additional impacts on the function and pressure of the joints of the jaw. If there is too much pressure, or tension on neuromuscular structure, strain, headaches, or pain in the region can result.
What are the causes of an open bite?
There are several factors which can continue to an open bite:
- Thumb sucking – the force of suction and pressure causes front tooth movement
- Tongue thrusting – the repeated force of the tongue applying pressure to the back of the front teeth creates open bite
- Speech conditions – like lisping can contribute to open bite
- Jaw alignment – if the top and bottom jaw aren’t aligned, the bite can be misaligned
- Genetics – lineage plays a large role in the development of physical characteristics
In most cases, Dr. Roeder treats open bites with traditional orthodontic options. In moderate to severe cases, there may be additional steps to treatment, including jaw surgery. If surgery is needed to correct the condition, Dr. Roeder and his team will work closely with an oral surgery specialist to coordinate and ensure comprehensive care. Read more about how Roeder Orthodontics works closely with other dental and medical specialists for a multi-disciplinarily approach.
For questions about orthodontic treatment options, call us at 828-274-2500 or send us a message to schedule a complimentary consultation. We’ll perform an examination, and look at all the options, including cost and treatment time estimates for orthodontic treatment at our office in Asheville.