Roeder Orthodontics offers Clarity Advanced Braces with Colors. Adults and Teen patients enjoy the chance to customize the color of their smile, and make it even more spectacular.
From subtle to shiny, choose one or more colors for a cool, hot, funky, or fresh look. Choose your own adventure! Check out the free Braces Color Tool, which allows you to see which color choices and combinations you like best.
Some patients enjoy coloring their braces to match upcoming holidays, their favorite sports teams, to show school pride, or to match a specific occasion.
Actual Patient of Roeder Orthodontics
For more information about Asheville orthodontic options, or to schedule an free appointment with Dr. Jeffrey Roeder and his team, contact us at 828-275-2500.
It’s no secret that braces add to the challenge of oral hygiene, but with a little effort, you can ensure your oral health is stellar during and after orthodontic treatment. Below are tips and suggestions from Roeder Orthodontics in Asheville, NC.
- Get started: Remove elastics, bands, or removable parts of your orthodontic appliance.
- Clean the braces and wires: Use a soft bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Angle the toothbrush so you can feel the bristles on your gum line. Carefully clean around wires and pins, brushing small circular motions around the braces. Move top to bottom when cleaning the wires, and all away around both top and bottom teeth.
- Brush your teeth: Brush all your teeth, spending at least 30 seconds per quadrant. Brush your tongue and the roof of your mouth. It is recommended to brush in the morning, after meals, and before bed.
- On the go: Take a travel toothbrush and toothpaste along with you in your bag, purse, or backpack
- Going the extra mile: Using a Interdental toothbrush (or proxabrush) helps to clean areas near brackets and under wires when you leave the house. Your toothbrush will wear out faster because of your braces and appliances; replace it whenever the bristles begin to fray.
- Floss once a day: Use waxed floss and thread it carefully under the main wire before passing between two teeth move up and down gently, remove, and move on to the next pair of teeth. Use regular floss with a floss threader to place above and below the orthodontic wire, or a special flosser made for braces and tight spaces.
- Floss threaders: A floss threader is similar to a threading needle. Insert one end of the floss through the threader and feed the threader under your archwire. Grab the floss on each end and slide it up and down the sides of both teeth and under the gums.
- Special flossers: There are several varieties and brands of flossers for braces. These are easy to use, and easy to pack for use on the go.
- Rinse and check: Rinse your mouth with water or fluoride mouthwash. Examine your teeth and braces in the mirror for any remaining food particles.
- Going the extra mile: Use an Irrigator (or water pick) to help ensure a completely clean mouth. The irrigator shoots a small stream of pressurized water at your teeth and gums and helps get rid of bits of food that become trapped in small spaces.
Planning Regular Checkups
You’ll have regular and ongoing braces checkups with Roeder Orthodontics. Dr. Jeffrey Roeder can help repair broken pieces, address specific oral hygiene challenges, and answer any questions about brushing and flossing. In addition to your regular orthodontic checkups, be sure to continue bi-yearly or quarterly visits with your regular dentist as recommended to ensure the best oral health possible.
By practicing diligence in caring for your teeth, you’ll have a strong and straight smile when you finish orthodontic treatment. For parents of children in braces, please encourage and help them with their daily orthodontic tooth care and maintenance.
Roeder Orthodontics serves children, teens and adults in Asheville, NC and surrounding communities with their braces and orthodontic appliances. Contact us today to schedule a visit or to ask questions about brushing and flossing your braces.
There was a point in time that adults and teenagers shied away from the idea of orthodontic treatment or having to get braces. However, due to today’s advancements in technology people of all ages are choosing orthodontic treatment to achieve a new and beautiful smile.
Did you know that archaeologists have found something similar to braces on ancient mummy remains? Some mummies found had crude metal bands around their teeth, which were believed to provide pressure in order to move teeth. While more modern orthodontic braces were not invented until the 1800’s, people’s preoccupation with aesthetic smiles can be dated back to the ancient Egyptians. In current times, orthodontists use a variety of techniques like ceramic braces and clear aligners to fix misaligned teeth.
The Basic Invention of Braces
In the 1800s, dentists created and improved the methods and techniques used to align and straighten teeth.
1819: Christophe-Francois Delabarre invented the very first wire crib.
1843: Dr. Edward Maynard was the very first dentist to use elastics as a technique to improve improper jaw adjustment.
1850: E.J. Tucker elaborated more on Maynard’s idea of gum elastics, and used rubber tubing for small bands that would fit more properly in the mouth.
1893: Henry A. Baker devised a method known as the “Baker anchorage.” This method combined Tucker’s rubber tubing with the wire crib. Which in return, eliminated the need to remove numerous teeth in order for alignment.
1894: Eugene S. Talbot was the first dentist to incorporate X-rays into different types of orthodontic treatment.
The term “braces” wasn‘t coined until the early 1900s and during that time dentists used a variety of materials such as ivory, copper, zinc, or even wood to align or correct oral problems. However, the use of gold in early orthodontics became the preferred treatment method. Gold is soft, and easy to adjust when exposed to heat. For patients who could not afford gold, their options were limited to silver, ivory or wood, which were much less flexible. 2
In the 1970s, modern orthodontics took a giant leap forward with the adoption and wide-spread use of a dental adhesive which could affix dental brackets directly on the teeth. Stainless steel brackets became the new standard because of the flexibility of the material and the reduced cost to orthodontists and patients.
Braces are now considered a routine dental procedure for children and adults. The overall idea of modern day braces is to beautify people’s smiles and to improve their dental hygiene and health. For those who are image conscious, there are more options than ever, including clear braces, and invisible aligners, such as Invisalign.
At Roeder Orthodontics, we use the newest advances in technology for orthodontic treatment including.. Invisalign, Damon Braces, Clarity Clear, and Clarity Braces with Color. Call us today at (828) 274-2500, or stop by our office in Asheville for a complimentary consultation with Dr. Jeffrey Roeder.
Credits and References:
- 1. Image & Information Courtesy of www.christopherjamesclark.com
- 2. Timeline Courtesy of www.davidevansdds.com
Wearing retainers after braces is equally as important as the orthodontic treatment itself. A large portion of patients will spend between 9 and 24 months in orthodontic treatment. Much of that time is spent forecasting tooth movement, and properly aligning both the teeth and the bite. Whether you wore clear braces, metal braces or Invisalign, Roeder Orthodontics will help you and your family learn the important requirements of proper retainer wear in order to protect your investment in healthy and straight teeth.
Retainers help keep teeth in their new positions.
It can take time for your mouth to learn the new position of your teeth. Wearing your retainer faithfully for the first year and beyond is the best way to ensure your teeth retain their proper alignment and don’t move back towards their previous locations.
Roeder Retainer University
Roeder Retainer University (RRU) is a exclusive program only offered to patients of Roeder Orthodontics in Asheville, NC. RRU is 12-month course to monitor the comfort and performance of retainer wear. Patients and parents are encouraged to take part in four appointments over the course of a year to ensure their smile stays stellar. As a benefit to those who comply with the course and attend the appointments, there are patient rewards and acknowledgement for success.
Orthodontic retainer quick tips:
- When not in your mouth, always keep your retainers in their designated container. Wrapping them in a napkin or tissue means you are more likely to mistake them for trash and accidentally throw them away. Digging through garbage is not fun. Keep your retainer in a safe location!
- After your braces are removed, come into Roeder Orthodontics for NO-COST retainer checkups, once every three months with our Roeder Retainer University Program.
- If your retainer begins to fit improperly, give us a call right away at 828-274-2500
- Teeth continue to move as you age and mature, wear your retainers as long as Dr. Roeder recommends.
At Roeder Orthodontics, More Than A Smile means we care about more than just your teeth during orthodontic treatment. We place extraordinary focus on quality relationships with patients and their families, and look beyond the smile into how your personal habits can impact the health and beauty of your teeth over a lifetime. This includes ongoing retainer wear! Which is why we hope you’ll continue to return to our office every few months for no-cost visits to monitor your teeth position and retainer wear.
Feel free to stop by our office at 22 Medical Park Dr. in Asheville, or contact us online. We serve patients from all around Buncombe County and beyond.
Many convenient services are offered online to Dr. Roeder’s patients.
Smile Dash Patient Portal
Patients and parents can login to our SmileDash patient portal and easily. Below are the features for our orthodontic patients:
- View your payment history
- Access flex spending payments, reimbursements, and tax receipts
- View your appointment times and dates
- Review and update your account information
- Send secure messages to Dr. Jeffrey Roeder
- View images and documents before your appointment
- Change or update messaging preferences
- Set personal reminders for yourself, including text and email appointment reminders
Orthodontext Automated Reminders
Orthodontext is an automated treatment reminder system for patients who wish to receive positive reminders about a variety of habits including brushing, elastic wear, retainer wear, etc. You can set the frequency of the reminders and choose the best days and times to receive the reminders. Patients experience enhanced treatment outcomes when they follow recommended treatment guidelines.
Virtual Office Tour
See our office in real-time, by using out virtual interactive tour.
Treatment Fee Calculator
Do you want to estimate how much you or your child’s orthodontic treatment will cost? Use our handy fee calculator and adjust what costs will work for your budget.
Consult with a Roeder Orthodontics team member about treatment options and monthly cost estimates to straighten your smile. Call Roeder Orthodontics in Asheville at 828-274-2500.